When things get busy – well, busy-er – it’s important to stay focused, remain calm, and tackle your to-do list strategically.
Attempting to complete multiple complex, high level tasks without breaks can feel impossible, but sometimes there just isn’t time to relax. That’s where the “S’mores Strategy” comes into play.
The joy of a S’more comes from the ooey-gooey center between the crunchy graham cracker sandwich. Similarly, the joy of completing tasks using the S’mores Strategy comes from tackling your task list from both sides, until you reach the ooey-gooey feeling of checking everything off your list.
The approach is this:
- First, make a list of all your mission-critical tasks. Include everything: large and small, easy and difficult.
- Once you have your list, separate the more time-consuming, complicated items from the more tedious/simple/straightforward tasks. These two lists are your graham crackers!
- Next, order each “graham cracker” list by level of urgency, so you know how to prioritize and what to tackle first.
- Once you have a clear picture of everything on your plate, start chipping away, beginning with the first item on your more difficult list. When you need a break from the more complex projects, switch gears and tackle one of your easier assignments. That way you keep productivity levels high, while still giving yourself a break.
- Before you know it, you’ll be riding high on that sugary wave of satisfaction that comes from accomplishing hard things!
Of course, when it starts to feel like the marshmallow is on the verge of going up in flames, don’t be afraid to take a step back and recalibrate. A 5-10 minute walk around the block can do wonders when it comes to increasing creativity and reducing burnout. And when you get back to your desk, that s’more will be there waiting!
At Granite Solutions Groupe, we believe that going the extra mile to get things done is the right thing to do. Clients choose us because we take the time to understand their needs and deliver top-quality talent that that gets consistent and efficient results. Consultants work with us because their talents and skills are understood and respected. To learn more about how we can help your team successfully complete its next project, reach out to email@example.com.