In this day and age, when everyone is hustling about, over-scheduled, over-stressed, under-nourished and sometimes under-appreciated, it can really be the little things that matter most.
Taking a moment to do something small that makes someone’s day just a little better can make an impression that will last a lifetime, and help you stand out with your clients, colleagues and constituents.
Here’s a quick list of things you can do that don’t take much time, but demonstrate that you’re really thinking about someone’s well-being. Try doing at least one every day, and watch how your relationships deepen and grow – along the way making you feel good inside:
- Pick up the phone to call a client, co-worker or service provider and open the conversation with: “Hello, how are you feeling today?”
- Write a quick hand-written note after a meeting to thank someone for their time and mail it to them – yes, the USPS is still in business (for now)
- When you’re in a store and see an item that reminds you of someone you know, buy it and send it to them with a note that just says “thinking of you” (it doesn’t have to be expensive to brighten someone’s day!)
- Call a client to check in without any other agenda than making sure that they’re happy. Be ready to make them happy if they’re not!
- When you’re on the phone with someone, turn around and face away from your computer while you’re talking to them – they’ll notice the difference!
- Call out the contributions of a co-worker in a team meeting or call – recognition goes a long way, even if it’s just a verbal acknowledgment!
- Treat every challenge as an opportunity – there are no problems in life – only opportunities! (Yes, I’m a glass half-full kind of guy)
- Buy some chocolate and give it away! (Recent studies show that it reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes, promotes general well-being, and is delicious)
And just remember, most of us aren’t saving lives in our daily jobs and the most important thing you can do is remember what’s really important – people. By keeping the focus on the people that matter most in our lives, including family, clients, co-workers and service providers, the rest of life seems to fall into place. And if you really are saving lives – THANK YOU!
At Granite Solutions Groupe, we believe that going the extra mile and focusing on relationships over transactions is the right thing to do. Clients choose us because we take the time to understand their needs and deliver top-quality talent that that gets consistent and efficient results. Consultants work with us because their talents and skills are understood and respected. To learn more about how we can help your team successfully complete its next project, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.